A weekly grammar component will be incorporated in class instruction, as well as a review of the reading, and direct writing instruction. A variety of writing genre to be covered with an emphasis on how to think about, organize, and plan writing. Writing genre to include informative, narrative, argumentative, and literary analysis. One oral presentation per semester. One CAASP Writing test prep assignment per semester.
Readings are meant to stimulate class discussion and writing. Selections chosen are classics or award winners. Three literature books per semester will be read depending on class pacing. Text or audio versions are acceptable. Books are subject to change if necessary.
Classroom Texts for Families to Purchase:
1. Winning with Writing First and Second Semester (Choose the grade level for your child).
2. Growing with Grammar Student Manual (Choose the grade level for your child).
3. Growing with Grammar Student Workbook (Choose the grade level for your child).
Optional Text for Home Use:
4. Soaring with Spelling and Grammar (Choose the grade level for your child).
Literature Books for 2022/2023
(Most of these books have a literature guide approved by Sage Oak for use by our Sage Oak students.)
1. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson [Memoria Press Guide]
2. The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du Pois [Memoria Press Guide]
3. City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau [Novel-Ties Study Guide]
4. Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk [Teachers Pay Teachers]
5. Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper [Teachers Pay Teachers]
6. The Giver by Lois Lowry [Novel Ties Study Guide]
If time permits:
7. The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss